Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Legend of Moose Boy, Avenger????

Well, now that you know that I'm a goodly sized X-Men fan it will come as no surprise that, even growing up skimming Fantastic Four (I still have the board game too)comics that I harbored dreams of being a superhero when I grew up. That is, alongside fireman, astronaut, locomotive engineer (which I can do but I haven't earned the title) and myriad other professions.

To that extent then, I reveal my not so secret identity as "Moose Boy"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frit-n-flowers/2478280241/sizes/o/in/set-72157604971642239/
As the backstory is quite long, I'll amend it to: a friend of mine and I went out to photograph a specific train at a certain location (we failed but not through our own faults) and while checking to see if said train was approaching, my friend snapped the above slide of me, not realizing any lineside poles were on the far side of the RR tracks (hence the antlers coming out of my head). When the slides had been developed my friend and I showed them to my parents and my Mom coined the phrase "Moose boy" when she saw this. At the time, forgetting all about my toddler's wish to be a superhero, I became quite indignant -- especially after the moniker stuck. Alas, over the years I have accepted the title bestowed upon me (after all some of us are destined to have greatness thrust upon us whether we like it or not)and have even found my own way to be humored by it: Superhero Vicariously.

During the heyday of my X-Men collecting in the years immediately after graduating college, I was able to collect other X-Men related items in addition to the comic books, such as Danger Room "key card", Xavier Institute Staff ID card, and X-Men Trainee card, all from a carousel at the bookstore check-out. Additionally, from enclosures included with Wizard magazines I received a diploma for the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning, and also an Avengers card. That's right, true believers, Moose Boy is a card carrying Avenger with level A-1 security clearance, granted by none other than Henry Gyrich himself (likely begrudgingly considering his stance on homo sapien superior). Admittedly, Moose Boy is a retcon though, since I got the card before the nickname.

Shortly after I'd gotten back into the X-Men comics and Marvel I'd come across The Hero Factory website, where, unlike my heroes designed at Marvel.com I could actually download my creation:
My Alter Ego??
Note the cheesy theft of blue & yellow and the pseudo X insignia. But now, through whatever technical malfeasance, I can no longer download my stuff from The Hero Factory either. I'm sure it's on my end with security protocols or whatever, but currently it's not a big enough problem for me to correct.

So that's the story of the Avenger known as Moose Boy.

2 comments:

  1. MO all this time and I never knew you were an Avenger!! Uhm, can you introduce me to Ironman? *Smiles engagingly*


    Oh, a quick note-your link doesn`t seem to be working. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that would be the case, Feral. It does function if you paste it into an address bar.

    I would think by now, all of my cards would have been cancelled by the respective teams, and I heard rumors that Ironman is in a coma...

    But, *notices batting eyes* um, I don't see any harm in looking into it. :-)

    ReplyDelete