Thursday, January 14, 2010

Flashback!!

The double-entendre is on purpose for one: I shall again whisk you back in time using that literary metaphor of squiggly Wayne and Garth lines and two; because while writing my previous blog entry my brain short-circuited and recalled a written piece of mine which appears to be older than I remembered writing it. Folks, don’t let age happen to you. It’s what makes your parents the way they are.

Initially I’d thought this little gem of a remembrance had been documented in my very first blog archive, but I read each entry I’d ever written and failed to come across what I was looking for. So then, I thought maybe it was part of a non-fiction assignment I’d written in college Senior year, only I apparently no longer have those papers either. Then when I began pondering what context I’d written the recollection under I picture the three ring binder diary/autobiography I used to keep until I moved out of my parents’s house. But the binder is still there in a box in my old closet and it’s the middle of the night as I write this, so I can’t look at this moment.

But I can write about it, except the more time that lapses, the more detail fades. It was a Summer’s day at Bumble Bee Nursery School and my fellow enrollees and I were playing on the grounds behind the school. They had a tall (for a five year old) wooden play scape that very easily could have resembled a small stage and this particular afternoon it did for about three minutes.

Even at such a young age music was a big part of me and I had dreams of being a famous singer/musician, so with air guitar in hand I jumped up “on stage” and wailed away like a kid possessed by Ted Nugent. (I WAS wearing Underoos that day, and I’d swear they were Spider-Man, but I can’t remember. It’s entirely possible somebody else was wearing Spider-Man Underoos and mine were different). I vocalized wailing guitar licks which blazed as fast as my tiny fingers would operate, gyrating my body in all kinds of directions oblivious to my surroundings until I’d stopped to get some air and sing the next verse (who knows what THAT would have even been) when all of a sudden the white curtain of imagination lifted at the sound of thundering applause!! I was scared! So I turned to face the audience (my teachers) bowed quickly, and then dove off of the stage for the security of the storage shed until recess was over. Again, don’t EVER get old. If you have to, keep your mind sharp. Don’t have “Senior Moments”.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn`t agree more MO! Which is why when the mood strikes I break into song, and also dance. Old age does creep upon us but we do not have to allow it to make us forget the joy of youth....or Spider-Man underoos!

    ReplyDelete