Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mighty Marvelite

Every now and then I get existential. Is my life pre-destined or do I make my own destiny? Well, I'm not in the frame of mind to be deep right now, but I bring this up because of photographs I found today. Yes, I should have brought this particular one home with me and scanned it so I could share it here, but I didn't. As with other things in life, I discovered this picture because I was actually looking for an envelope of pictures from the last full family vacation my nucleic family ever took, which was to Florida. I did find those also (well most of them).

So, getting back to the first said photo: it's of me in single digit years and I'm wearing an Amazing Spider-Man shirt. Frankly, I don't even remember this shirt (did Underoos ever come with tops?? I've just been mentally transported back to a wooden playscape at my nursery school when I was pretending to be a rock star -- hmm, nothing's changed... -- oops, I digress. It's been blogged at V.1 -- I'll import it sometime, promise). This revelation (about the shirt in the photo) made me think just how prevalent Marvel comics and more specifically Marvel characters have been in my life. That's just about the whole darn time! (And makes me worry facetiously that Marvel's been brainwashing me since infancy to be loyal, etc.)

Which got me thinking about the Captain America Hot Wheels bus I've had since childhood, where you can look in the back window and see an image of Cap in action. My older brother got a van which you look in the back of and see Doctor Doom (he's since given it to me). Funny sometimes what survives childhood and stays with you through the many years (unlike all of my shirts apparently). Of course, I've previously mentioned I still have the Fantastic Four game (must rescue that from the closet at my parents' house). Ooh, and I'm really excited to have a comics convention in my proverbial back yard. So long as it's not cancelled, ComiConn is to happen just up the street from my parents in my old home town this coming May. Oh yeah, I'm there, with fake ruby quartz safety glasses on!

So what do the photographs have to do with my destiny? Darned if I can think of it now. I was planning on writing something about destined to be some kind of hero based on the old photo of me in the Spidey shirt, but then I went off on another tangent (what ELSE is new?) and pre-destiny just didn't seem to fit any longer!

1 comment:

  1. I had to chuckle at the part about Marvel brainwashing thier readers, I`ve had the same thought myself.

    I can recall racing home from school to watch the original Spider-Man cartoon. It seems I was a comic geek even then just never realized it.

    ReplyDelete