Friday, February 5, 2010

Indian Leap

Yantic Falls-Indian Leap

Here's the whole reason I've interrupted the saga of those three dimensional hopping nutjobs...er, uh, I mean, explorers Steve, Jacob and Miss indecision (okay Sue/Alexandria. Maybe she'll get replaced with someone who's name is easier to type).

While out with a friend of mine trying to get pictures of a train, he guided me into a neatly tucked away place with quite the legend behind it:
http://www.ctmuseumquest.com/?page_id=4171

This place really struck a chord with me; an awesome deep gorge with quite the ice formation (it reminded me of Letchworth State Park near Portageville, NY seen here:
Letchworth State Park Upper Falls morning
Of course photos of either place just don't do them justice.

But there's more to Indian Leap than a movie starring Daniel Day Lewis ("Last of the Mohicans" It's a stretch, but the writer at CT Museum Quest made the connection, I'm just repeating it). There's that awesome gorge I mentioned, but also, as a modeller, there's wrought iron railings, rock cuts, bridges, a tunnel... it's visually interesting and full of subtle details. And it's all woven together in an air of nostalgia because it's been relatively untouched by progress nestled in a tiny corner of a small New England town. I can't wait until Autumn to see what it's like then.

1 comment: